SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
While delivering remarks at the Milken Institute Global Conference in Beverly Hills, California on Monday, U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said bombing Syria last month served as "after-dinner entertainment" for the Trump administration. (Photo: Mike Blake/Reuters)
Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross is under fire--with one journalist characterizing it as the behavior of a 'sociopath'--following crude remarks made Monday in which he described the U.S. bombing of Syria as "after-dinner entertainment" at President Donald Trump's private Mar-A-Lago estate while hosting Chinese President Xi Jinping last month.
"Just as dessert was being served, the president explained to Mr. Xi he had something he wanted to tell him, which was the launching of 59 missiles into Syria," Ross said Monday during a speech at the Milken Institute Conference in Beverly Hills, California. "It was in lieu of after-dinner entertainment. The thing was, it didn't cost the president anything to have that entertainment."
According to Variety, which first reported the comments, some members of the audience responded with laughter.
Made public, however, the comments by Ross attracted not smiles but widespread disgust and rebuke.
\u201cSociopath https://t.co/Tt9Sf9AwAp\u201d— Jordan (@Jordan) 1493734908
\u201cOh gawd this is miserable! These people are power-hungry monsters. Innocents were killed! https://t.co/sKkOG316g0 via @variety\u201d— Amy Siskind \ud83c\udff3\ufe0f\u200d\ud83c\udf08 (@Amy Siskind \ud83c\udff3\ufe0f\u200d\ud83c\udf08) 1493674037
This short video by Carbonated TV captured additional responses of outrage:
Rep. Ted Lieu, a Democrat from California, also condemned Ross' comment.
"Secretary Wilbur Ross needs to apologize," Lieu declared in a tweet Monday night. "US military is not a toy and should never be used for 'entertainment.'"
Trump and Musk are on an unconstitutional rampage, aiming for virtually every corner of the federal government. These two right-wing billionaires are targeting nurses, scientists, teachers, daycare providers, judges, veterans, air traffic controllers, and nuclear safety inspectors. No one is safe. The food stamps program, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are next. It’s an unprecedented disaster and a five-alarm fire, but there will be a reckoning. The people did not vote for this. The American people do not want this dystopian hellscape that hides behind claims of “efficiency.” Still, in reality, it is all a giveaway to corporate interests and the libertarian dreams of far-right oligarchs like Musk. Common Dreams is playing a vital role by reporting day and night on this orgy of corruption and greed, as well as what everyday people can do to organize and fight back. As a people-powered nonprofit news outlet, we cover issues the corporate media never will, but we can only continue with our readers’ support. |
Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross is under fire--with one journalist characterizing it as the behavior of a 'sociopath'--following crude remarks made Monday in which he described the U.S. bombing of Syria as "after-dinner entertainment" at President Donald Trump's private Mar-A-Lago estate while hosting Chinese President Xi Jinping last month.
"Just as dessert was being served, the president explained to Mr. Xi he had something he wanted to tell him, which was the launching of 59 missiles into Syria," Ross said Monday during a speech at the Milken Institute Conference in Beverly Hills, California. "It was in lieu of after-dinner entertainment. The thing was, it didn't cost the president anything to have that entertainment."
According to Variety, which first reported the comments, some members of the audience responded with laughter.
Made public, however, the comments by Ross attracted not smiles but widespread disgust and rebuke.
\u201cSociopath https://t.co/Tt9Sf9AwAp\u201d— Jordan (@Jordan) 1493734908
\u201cOh gawd this is miserable! These people are power-hungry monsters. Innocents were killed! https://t.co/sKkOG316g0 via @variety\u201d— Amy Siskind \ud83c\udff3\ufe0f\u200d\ud83c\udf08 (@Amy Siskind \ud83c\udff3\ufe0f\u200d\ud83c\udf08) 1493674037
This short video by Carbonated TV captured additional responses of outrage:
Rep. Ted Lieu, a Democrat from California, also condemned Ross' comment.
"Secretary Wilbur Ross needs to apologize," Lieu declared in a tweet Monday night. "US military is not a toy and should never be used for 'entertainment.'"
Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross is under fire--with one journalist characterizing it as the behavior of a 'sociopath'--following crude remarks made Monday in which he described the U.S. bombing of Syria as "after-dinner entertainment" at President Donald Trump's private Mar-A-Lago estate while hosting Chinese President Xi Jinping last month.
"Just as dessert was being served, the president explained to Mr. Xi he had something he wanted to tell him, which was the launching of 59 missiles into Syria," Ross said Monday during a speech at the Milken Institute Conference in Beverly Hills, California. "It was in lieu of after-dinner entertainment. The thing was, it didn't cost the president anything to have that entertainment."
According to Variety, which first reported the comments, some members of the audience responded with laughter.
Made public, however, the comments by Ross attracted not smiles but widespread disgust and rebuke.
\u201cSociopath https://t.co/Tt9Sf9AwAp\u201d— Jordan (@Jordan) 1493734908
\u201cOh gawd this is miserable! These people are power-hungry monsters. Innocents were killed! https://t.co/sKkOG316g0 via @variety\u201d— Amy Siskind \ud83c\udff3\ufe0f\u200d\ud83c\udf08 (@Amy Siskind \ud83c\udff3\ufe0f\u200d\ud83c\udf08) 1493674037
This short video by Carbonated TV captured additional responses of outrage:
Rep. Ted Lieu, a Democrat from California, also condemned Ross' comment.
"Secretary Wilbur Ross needs to apologize," Lieu declared in a tweet Monday night. "US military is not a toy and should never be used for 'entertainment.'"