SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
President Donald Trump's deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders speaking to reporters from the White House briefing room on Thursday. (Photo: Screenshot/WhiteHouse.gov)
In exchanges with reporters regarding a roundly denounced tweets President Donald Trump sent out earlier in the day, White House deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Thursday afternoon defended the president by saying Trump won the presidency "overwhelmingly" (which is simply not true) and that the American people "knew exactly what they were getting" when they put him in the Oval Office.
Though critics across the political spectrum condemned Trump's comments about MSNBC news anchor Mika Brzezinski as "sexist" and "vile" (among other descriptors), Huckabee Sanders dismissed the idea that the president acted "beneath the dignity" of his office, claiming instead that he was the victim of "merciless" coverage by media figures. "When he gets attacked, he's going to hit back," she said.
"The American People elected a Fighter!"
Sarah Huckabee Sanders on MSM continuous biased coverage. pic.twitter.com/jsXXlCCqUb
-- TRUMP WORLD (@Trump_World) June 29, 2017
For many, the line of defense did not go over well.
\u201cSarah Huckabee Sanders tried to defend Trump's sexist tweets about Mika Brzezinski.\n\nIt was a total train wreck.\u201d— Splinter (@Splinter) 1498769828
In a separate claim, Huckabee Sanders claimed that President Trump "in no way, form, or fashion has ever encouraged any form of violence." That also led to some quick fact-checking among journalists and others.
\u201cSarah Huckabee Sanders: "The president in no way, form, or fashion has ever encouraged any form of violence."\n\nFact check:\u201d— Kyle Griffin (@Kyle Griffin) 1498762947
Trump and Musk are on an unconstitutional rampage, aiming for virtually every corner of the federal government. These two right-wing billionaires are targeting nurses, scientists, teachers, daycare providers, judges, veterans, air traffic controllers, and nuclear safety inspectors. No one is safe. The food stamps program, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are next. It’s an unprecedented disaster and a five-alarm fire, but there will be a reckoning. The people did not vote for this. The American people do not want this dystopian hellscape that hides behind claims of “efficiency.” Still, in reality, it is all a giveaway to corporate interests and the libertarian dreams of far-right oligarchs like Musk. Common Dreams is playing a vital role by reporting day and night on this orgy of corruption and greed, as well as what everyday people can do to organize and fight back. As a people-powered nonprofit news outlet, we cover issues the corporate media never will, but we can only continue with our readers’ support. |
In exchanges with reporters regarding a roundly denounced tweets President Donald Trump sent out earlier in the day, White House deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Thursday afternoon defended the president by saying Trump won the presidency "overwhelmingly" (which is simply not true) and that the American people "knew exactly what they were getting" when they put him in the Oval Office.
Though critics across the political spectrum condemned Trump's comments about MSNBC news anchor Mika Brzezinski as "sexist" and "vile" (among other descriptors), Huckabee Sanders dismissed the idea that the president acted "beneath the dignity" of his office, claiming instead that he was the victim of "merciless" coverage by media figures. "When he gets attacked, he's going to hit back," she said.
"The American People elected a Fighter!"
Sarah Huckabee Sanders on MSM continuous biased coverage. pic.twitter.com/jsXXlCCqUb
-- TRUMP WORLD (@Trump_World) June 29, 2017
For many, the line of defense did not go over well.
\u201cSarah Huckabee Sanders tried to defend Trump's sexist tweets about Mika Brzezinski.\n\nIt was a total train wreck.\u201d— Splinter (@Splinter) 1498769828
In a separate claim, Huckabee Sanders claimed that President Trump "in no way, form, or fashion has ever encouraged any form of violence." That also led to some quick fact-checking among journalists and others.
\u201cSarah Huckabee Sanders: "The president in no way, form, or fashion has ever encouraged any form of violence."\n\nFact check:\u201d— Kyle Griffin (@Kyle Griffin) 1498762947
In exchanges with reporters regarding a roundly denounced tweets President Donald Trump sent out earlier in the day, White House deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Thursday afternoon defended the president by saying Trump won the presidency "overwhelmingly" (which is simply not true) and that the American people "knew exactly what they were getting" when they put him in the Oval Office.
Though critics across the political spectrum condemned Trump's comments about MSNBC news anchor Mika Brzezinski as "sexist" and "vile" (among other descriptors), Huckabee Sanders dismissed the idea that the president acted "beneath the dignity" of his office, claiming instead that he was the victim of "merciless" coverage by media figures. "When he gets attacked, he's going to hit back," she said.
"The American People elected a Fighter!"
Sarah Huckabee Sanders on MSM continuous biased coverage. pic.twitter.com/jsXXlCCqUb
-- TRUMP WORLD (@Trump_World) June 29, 2017
For many, the line of defense did not go over well.
\u201cSarah Huckabee Sanders tried to defend Trump's sexist tweets about Mika Brzezinski.\n\nIt was a total train wreck.\u201d— Splinter (@Splinter) 1498769828
In a separate claim, Huckabee Sanders claimed that President Trump "in no way, form, or fashion has ever encouraged any form of violence." That also led to some quick fact-checking among journalists and others.
\u201cSarah Huckabee Sanders: "The president in no way, form, or fashion has ever encouraged any form of violence."\n\nFact check:\u201d— Kyle Griffin (@Kyle Griffin) 1498762947