SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Cheryl Fish-Parcham, director of access initiatives at Families USA, called the ending of the subsidies "the most malicious and harmful attack yet by the Trump Administration on the Affordable Care Act." (Photo: Olivier Douliery-Pool/Getty Images)
Warning of the decision's "great human cost," 19 attorneys general on Friday filed suit in a federal court to stop President Donald Trump's decision to cut off key Obamacare cost-sharing subsidies, as outrage from advocacy groups continued to pour in.
"Taking these legally required subsidies away from working families' health plans and forcing them to choose between paying rent or their medical bills is completely reckless. This is sabotage, plain and simple," said California Attorney Xavier General Becerra, who's leading the coalition of states.
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who's also a party to the suit, called it "a reckless assault on the healthcare of thousands of New Yorkers and millions of Americans," which is part of a "partisan campaign to sabotage our healthcare system."
The suit (pdf), filed Friday afternoon, says that ending the subsidies "will harm millions of state residents and the states themselves by making health insurance more expensive and less accessible," thus "impos[ing] a great human cost."
Laying out the consequences of the change, Voxexplained how the "new policy is lose-lose-lose for key stakeholders with no upside:"
With such impacts in mind, Cheryl Fish-Parcham, director of access initiatives at Families USA, called the ending of the subsidies "the most malicious and harmful attack yet by the Trump Administration on the Affordable Care Act."
Denouncing the cut-off as well as Trump's executive order Thursday attacking the ACA, Derrick Johnson, interim president and CEO of NAACP, said, "President Trump does not care about protecting the health of Americans. To end the Affordable Care Act in this way is a desperate maneuver to engineer a political win for his right-wing base, after nearly a year of covert, detrimental action."
According to Chris Carson, president of League of Women Voters, it showed that "Trump is attempting to dismantle the American healthcare system piece by piece, in the same dangerous and under-the-table manner that the American people made clear to their Congressional leaders is unacceptable." While the healthcare law is imperfect, "Congress should work to improve it," she said. "The White House should not undo the positive impacts this legislation has had for millions of Americans who previously could not afford healthcare coverage."
As Sen. Bernie Sanders sees it, "we have a president who is trying to destroy the American healthcare system."
Joining California and New York in the new suit are the attorneys general of Kentucky, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Oregon, North Carolina, Illinois, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Minnesota, New Mexico, Washington, Iowa, and the District of Columbia.
Trump and Musk are on an unconstitutional rampage, aiming for virtually every corner of the federal government. These two right-wing billionaires are targeting nurses, scientists, teachers, daycare providers, judges, veterans, air traffic controllers, and nuclear safety inspectors. No one is safe. The food stamps program, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are next. It’s an unprecedented disaster and a five-alarm fire, but there will be a reckoning. The people did not vote for this. The American people do not want this dystopian hellscape that hides behind claims of “efficiency.” Still, in reality, it is all a giveaway to corporate interests and the libertarian dreams of far-right oligarchs like Musk. Common Dreams is playing a vital role by reporting day and night on this orgy of corruption and greed, as well as what everyday people can do to organize and fight back. As a people-powered nonprofit news outlet, we cover issues the corporate media never will, but we can only continue with our readers’ support. |
Warning of the decision's "great human cost," 19 attorneys general on Friday filed suit in a federal court to stop President Donald Trump's decision to cut off key Obamacare cost-sharing subsidies, as outrage from advocacy groups continued to pour in.
"Taking these legally required subsidies away from working families' health plans and forcing them to choose between paying rent or their medical bills is completely reckless. This is sabotage, plain and simple," said California Attorney Xavier General Becerra, who's leading the coalition of states.
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who's also a party to the suit, called it "a reckless assault on the healthcare of thousands of New Yorkers and millions of Americans," which is part of a "partisan campaign to sabotage our healthcare system."
The suit (pdf), filed Friday afternoon, says that ending the subsidies "will harm millions of state residents and the states themselves by making health insurance more expensive and less accessible," thus "impos[ing] a great human cost."
Laying out the consequences of the change, Voxexplained how the "new policy is lose-lose-lose for key stakeholders with no upside:"
With such impacts in mind, Cheryl Fish-Parcham, director of access initiatives at Families USA, called the ending of the subsidies "the most malicious and harmful attack yet by the Trump Administration on the Affordable Care Act."
Denouncing the cut-off as well as Trump's executive order Thursday attacking the ACA, Derrick Johnson, interim president and CEO of NAACP, said, "President Trump does not care about protecting the health of Americans. To end the Affordable Care Act in this way is a desperate maneuver to engineer a political win for his right-wing base, after nearly a year of covert, detrimental action."
According to Chris Carson, president of League of Women Voters, it showed that "Trump is attempting to dismantle the American healthcare system piece by piece, in the same dangerous and under-the-table manner that the American people made clear to their Congressional leaders is unacceptable." While the healthcare law is imperfect, "Congress should work to improve it," she said. "The White House should not undo the positive impacts this legislation has had for millions of Americans who previously could not afford healthcare coverage."
As Sen. Bernie Sanders sees it, "we have a president who is trying to destroy the American healthcare system."
Joining California and New York in the new suit are the attorneys general of Kentucky, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Oregon, North Carolina, Illinois, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Minnesota, New Mexico, Washington, Iowa, and the District of Columbia.
Warning of the decision's "great human cost," 19 attorneys general on Friday filed suit in a federal court to stop President Donald Trump's decision to cut off key Obamacare cost-sharing subsidies, as outrage from advocacy groups continued to pour in.
"Taking these legally required subsidies away from working families' health plans and forcing them to choose between paying rent or their medical bills is completely reckless. This is sabotage, plain and simple," said California Attorney Xavier General Becerra, who's leading the coalition of states.
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who's also a party to the suit, called it "a reckless assault on the healthcare of thousands of New Yorkers and millions of Americans," which is part of a "partisan campaign to sabotage our healthcare system."
The suit (pdf), filed Friday afternoon, says that ending the subsidies "will harm millions of state residents and the states themselves by making health insurance more expensive and less accessible," thus "impos[ing] a great human cost."
Laying out the consequences of the change, Voxexplained how the "new policy is lose-lose-lose for key stakeholders with no upside:"
With such impacts in mind, Cheryl Fish-Parcham, director of access initiatives at Families USA, called the ending of the subsidies "the most malicious and harmful attack yet by the Trump Administration on the Affordable Care Act."
Denouncing the cut-off as well as Trump's executive order Thursday attacking the ACA, Derrick Johnson, interim president and CEO of NAACP, said, "President Trump does not care about protecting the health of Americans. To end the Affordable Care Act in this way is a desperate maneuver to engineer a political win for his right-wing base, after nearly a year of covert, detrimental action."
According to Chris Carson, president of League of Women Voters, it showed that "Trump is attempting to dismantle the American healthcare system piece by piece, in the same dangerous and under-the-table manner that the American people made clear to their Congressional leaders is unacceptable." While the healthcare law is imperfect, "Congress should work to improve it," she said. "The White House should not undo the positive impacts this legislation has had for millions of Americans who previously could not afford healthcare coverage."
As Sen. Bernie Sanders sees it, "we have a president who is trying to destroy the American healthcare system."
Joining California and New York in the new suit are the attorneys general of Kentucky, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Oregon, North Carolina, Illinois, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Minnesota, New Mexico, Washington, Iowa, and the District of Columbia.