

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.

Relatives and neighbors of the Ahmadi family gathered around the incinerated husk of a vehicle hit by a U.S. drone strike in Kabul, Afghanistan on August 30, 2021. (Photo: Marcus Yam/Los Angeles Times)
The Pentagon said Friday that the U.S. would issue "condolence payments" to relatives of 10 Afghan civilians, including seven children, killed in an August drone strike--an attack military officials had initially defended as a "righteous strike" targeting an explosive-laden vehicle destined for militants and later admitted to being a "horrible tragedy" that claimed innocent lives.
The statement from Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby followed a Thursday virtual meeting that included Dr. Steven Kwon, president and CEO of Nutrition & Education International (NEI), and Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Colin Kahl. NEI had employed as a technical engineer Zemari Ahmadi, who was killed along with nine members of his family in the August 29 Hellfire missile strike in Kabul as the U.S. was pulling its troops out of Afghanistan.
"Kahl noted that the strike was a tragic mistake," said Kirby, "and that Mr. Ezmarai Ahmadi and others who were killed were innocent victims who bore no blame and were not affiliated with ISIS-K or threats to U.S. forces."
"What makes this tragedy different from so many others during the war in Afghanistan is that because of public attention, top Pentagon officials met with NEI and explicitly promised to help."
"Dr. Kahl reiterated Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's commitment to the families, including offering ex gratia condolence payments," the statement added.
The statement further indicated the Pentagon is working with the State Department to help resettle surviving members of Ahmadi's family in the U.S., according to the Washington Post.
NEI's Kwon, in a Thursday statement, welcomed the meeting with the Pentagon officials as a positive step.
In addition to being "like a son to me," Kwon praised Ahmadi as a "gifted engineer" who was "an essential part of our operations and successes."
The American Civil Liberties Union is representing NEI as it asks the U.S. government to help resettle the victims, provide compensation, and begin a thorough probe into the strike.
Hina Shamsi, director of the ACLU's National Security Project, drew attention to the fact that the scrutiny and pledge for compensation in the case is an anomaly. Watchdog groups have repeatedly said the military's tally of civilian victims are vast undercounts and meaningful compensation is often absent.
"The U.S. wrongly killed [Ahmadi family members'] loved ones, and what makes this tragedy different from so many others during the war in Afghanistan," she said, "is that because of public attention, top Pentagon officials met with NEI and explicitly promised to help."
Shamsi also expressed hope "that the investigation into the strike provides NEI and the Ahmadi family meaningful transparency and accountability."
Related Content

In a statement last month following the U.S. admission of a mistake in the deadly Kabul attack, Amnesty International also drew attention to the ongoing need for U.S. accountability for its strikes across the globe.
"Many similar strikes in Syria, Iraq, and Somalia have happened out of the spotlight, and the U.S. continues to deny responsibility while devastated families suffer in silence," said Brian Castner, senior crisis advisor with Amnesty International's Crisis Response Programme.
"The U.S.," he said, "must ensure that it ends unlawful strikes, consistently and thoroughly investigates all allegations of civilians harmed in attacks, and publicly discloses its findings."
Daphne Eviatar, director of the Security With Human Rights program at Amnesty International USA, said "the Biden administration must not repeat the violations of previous administrations and must now prioritize civilian protection."
"President [Joe] Biden should show real concern for civilians by taking more meaningful steps to prevent civilian casualties as a result of all U.S. lethal operations," she said, "as well as to investigate and assist those harmed."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
The Pentagon said Friday that the U.S. would issue "condolence payments" to relatives of 10 Afghan civilians, including seven children, killed in an August drone strike--an attack military officials had initially defended as a "righteous strike" targeting an explosive-laden vehicle destined for militants and later admitted to being a "horrible tragedy" that claimed innocent lives.
The statement from Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby followed a Thursday virtual meeting that included Dr. Steven Kwon, president and CEO of Nutrition & Education International (NEI), and Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Colin Kahl. NEI had employed as a technical engineer Zemari Ahmadi, who was killed along with nine members of his family in the August 29 Hellfire missile strike in Kabul as the U.S. was pulling its troops out of Afghanistan.
"Kahl noted that the strike was a tragic mistake," said Kirby, "and that Mr. Ezmarai Ahmadi and others who were killed were innocent victims who bore no blame and were not affiliated with ISIS-K or threats to U.S. forces."
"What makes this tragedy different from so many others during the war in Afghanistan is that because of public attention, top Pentagon officials met with NEI and explicitly promised to help."
"Dr. Kahl reiterated Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's commitment to the families, including offering ex gratia condolence payments," the statement added.
The statement further indicated the Pentagon is working with the State Department to help resettle surviving members of Ahmadi's family in the U.S., according to the Washington Post.
NEI's Kwon, in a Thursday statement, welcomed the meeting with the Pentagon officials as a positive step.
In addition to being "like a son to me," Kwon praised Ahmadi as a "gifted engineer" who was "an essential part of our operations and successes."
The American Civil Liberties Union is representing NEI as it asks the U.S. government to help resettle the victims, provide compensation, and begin a thorough probe into the strike.
Hina Shamsi, director of the ACLU's National Security Project, drew attention to the fact that the scrutiny and pledge for compensation in the case is an anomaly. Watchdog groups have repeatedly said the military's tally of civilian victims are vast undercounts and meaningful compensation is often absent.
"The U.S. wrongly killed [Ahmadi family members'] loved ones, and what makes this tragedy different from so many others during the war in Afghanistan," she said, "is that because of public attention, top Pentagon officials met with NEI and explicitly promised to help."
Shamsi also expressed hope "that the investigation into the strike provides NEI and the Ahmadi family meaningful transparency and accountability."
Related Content

In a statement last month following the U.S. admission of a mistake in the deadly Kabul attack, Amnesty International also drew attention to the ongoing need for U.S. accountability for its strikes across the globe.
"Many similar strikes in Syria, Iraq, and Somalia have happened out of the spotlight, and the U.S. continues to deny responsibility while devastated families suffer in silence," said Brian Castner, senior crisis advisor with Amnesty International's Crisis Response Programme.
"The U.S.," he said, "must ensure that it ends unlawful strikes, consistently and thoroughly investigates all allegations of civilians harmed in attacks, and publicly discloses its findings."
Daphne Eviatar, director of the Security With Human Rights program at Amnesty International USA, said "the Biden administration must not repeat the violations of previous administrations and must now prioritize civilian protection."
"President [Joe] Biden should show real concern for civilians by taking more meaningful steps to prevent civilian casualties as a result of all U.S. lethal operations," she said, "as well as to investigate and assist those harmed."
The Pentagon said Friday that the U.S. would issue "condolence payments" to relatives of 10 Afghan civilians, including seven children, killed in an August drone strike--an attack military officials had initially defended as a "righteous strike" targeting an explosive-laden vehicle destined for militants and later admitted to being a "horrible tragedy" that claimed innocent lives.
The statement from Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby followed a Thursday virtual meeting that included Dr. Steven Kwon, president and CEO of Nutrition & Education International (NEI), and Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Colin Kahl. NEI had employed as a technical engineer Zemari Ahmadi, who was killed along with nine members of his family in the August 29 Hellfire missile strike in Kabul as the U.S. was pulling its troops out of Afghanistan.
"Kahl noted that the strike was a tragic mistake," said Kirby, "and that Mr. Ezmarai Ahmadi and others who were killed were innocent victims who bore no blame and were not affiliated with ISIS-K or threats to U.S. forces."
"What makes this tragedy different from so many others during the war in Afghanistan is that because of public attention, top Pentagon officials met with NEI and explicitly promised to help."
"Dr. Kahl reiterated Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's commitment to the families, including offering ex gratia condolence payments," the statement added.
The statement further indicated the Pentagon is working with the State Department to help resettle surviving members of Ahmadi's family in the U.S., according to the Washington Post.
NEI's Kwon, in a Thursday statement, welcomed the meeting with the Pentagon officials as a positive step.
In addition to being "like a son to me," Kwon praised Ahmadi as a "gifted engineer" who was "an essential part of our operations and successes."
The American Civil Liberties Union is representing NEI as it asks the U.S. government to help resettle the victims, provide compensation, and begin a thorough probe into the strike.
Hina Shamsi, director of the ACLU's National Security Project, drew attention to the fact that the scrutiny and pledge for compensation in the case is an anomaly. Watchdog groups have repeatedly said the military's tally of civilian victims are vast undercounts and meaningful compensation is often absent.
"The U.S. wrongly killed [Ahmadi family members'] loved ones, and what makes this tragedy different from so many others during the war in Afghanistan," she said, "is that because of public attention, top Pentagon officials met with NEI and explicitly promised to help."
Shamsi also expressed hope "that the investigation into the strike provides NEI and the Ahmadi family meaningful transparency and accountability."
Related Content

In a statement last month following the U.S. admission of a mistake in the deadly Kabul attack, Amnesty International also drew attention to the ongoing need for U.S. accountability for its strikes across the globe.
"Many similar strikes in Syria, Iraq, and Somalia have happened out of the spotlight, and the U.S. continues to deny responsibility while devastated families suffer in silence," said Brian Castner, senior crisis advisor with Amnesty International's Crisis Response Programme.
"The U.S.," he said, "must ensure that it ends unlawful strikes, consistently and thoroughly investigates all allegations of civilians harmed in attacks, and publicly discloses its findings."
Daphne Eviatar, director of the Security With Human Rights program at Amnesty International USA, said "the Biden administration must not repeat the violations of previous administrations and must now prioritize civilian protection."
"President [Joe] Biden should show real concern for civilians by taking more meaningful steps to prevent civilian casualties as a result of all U.S. lethal operations," she said, "as well as to investigate and assist those harmed."