
A vehicle burns after a blast near the parliament building in Kabul.
Afghan Army Repels Taliban Assault on Parliament in Kabul
Civil war rages on in Afghanistan nearly fourteen years after US invasion
The Afghan Army and security forces were able to repel a morning assault against the nation's parliament complex by Taliban soldiers on Monday, which began with a truck bomb followed by an attempt by gunmen to storm the main building where lawmakers were in session.
Early reports indicate that no members of the Afghanistan Parliament were injured in the attack. However, officials at the scene noted several civilian deaths and dozens of injuries associated with the violence.
Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told the Associated Press that security forces pushed back the fighters who attempted to shoot their way into the main building and eventually corralled into a nearby building that was under construction. Sediqqi later said security forces killed all seven attackers. "It is over now," he announced.
The incident occurs in the context of a wider summer offensive by the Taliban, which has recently been staging attacks and gaining ground in northern provinces and elsewhere.
According to Reuters:
The brazen assault on the symbolic center of power, along with territorial gains elsewhere, highlight how NATO-trained Afghan security forces are struggling to cope with worsening militant violence.
Fighting has spiraled since the departure of most foreign forces from Afghanistan at the end of last year. The insurgents are pushing to take territory more than 13 years after U.S.-led military intervention toppled them from power.
And the Guardian, as part of its coverage, offered this roundup of the events of the morning:
- A woman and child were killed, and 40 civilians were injured in a brazen bomb and gun attack on the Afghan parliament in Kabul. A suicide car bomber and six gunmen were also killed in the attack.
- MPs were evacuated to safety amid chaotic scenes. The speaker of the Parliament, Abdul Rauf Ibrahim, managed to continue talking during the blast in a moment of calm under fire, which was captured live on TV.
- The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. A spokesman said it was timed to coincide with the appearance in parliament of Afghanistan's new defense minister, Mohammad Masoom Stanekzai.
- The attack was swiftly condemned by the UN and the prime ministers of both India and Pakistan. The UN said it was an affront to democracy.
- The attack raises new questions about Afghanistan's ability to maintain security without NATO's help. Over the weekend, Taliban forces took control of Chardara district in Kunduz. The continued insurgency also suggests divisions within the Taliban as it occurred soon after some senior Taliban figures entered talks in Qatar.
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
The Afghan Army and security forces were able to repel a morning assault against the nation's parliament complex by Taliban soldiers on Monday, which began with a truck bomb followed by an attempt by gunmen to storm the main building where lawmakers were in session.
Early reports indicate that no members of the Afghanistan Parliament were injured in the attack. However, officials at the scene noted several civilian deaths and dozens of injuries associated with the violence.
Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told the Associated Press that security forces pushed back the fighters who attempted to shoot their way into the main building and eventually corralled into a nearby building that was under construction. Sediqqi later said security forces killed all seven attackers. "It is over now," he announced.
The incident occurs in the context of a wider summer offensive by the Taliban, which has recently been staging attacks and gaining ground in northern provinces and elsewhere.
According to Reuters:
The brazen assault on the symbolic center of power, along with territorial gains elsewhere, highlight how NATO-trained Afghan security forces are struggling to cope with worsening militant violence.
Fighting has spiraled since the departure of most foreign forces from Afghanistan at the end of last year. The insurgents are pushing to take territory more than 13 years after U.S.-led military intervention toppled them from power.
And the Guardian, as part of its coverage, offered this roundup of the events of the morning:
- A woman and child were killed, and 40 civilians were injured in a brazen bomb and gun attack on the Afghan parliament in Kabul. A suicide car bomber and six gunmen were also killed in the attack.
- MPs were evacuated to safety amid chaotic scenes. The speaker of the Parliament, Abdul Rauf Ibrahim, managed to continue talking during the blast in a moment of calm under fire, which was captured live on TV.
- The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. A spokesman said it was timed to coincide with the appearance in parliament of Afghanistan's new defense minister, Mohammad Masoom Stanekzai.
- The attack was swiftly condemned by the UN and the prime ministers of both India and Pakistan. The UN said it was an affront to democracy.
- The attack raises new questions about Afghanistan's ability to maintain security without NATO's help. Over the weekend, Taliban forces took control of Chardara district in Kunduz. The continued insurgency also suggests divisions within the Taliban as it occurred soon after some senior Taliban figures entered talks in Qatar.
The Afghan Army and security forces were able to repel a morning assault against the nation's parliament complex by Taliban soldiers on Monday, which began with a truck bomb followed by an attempt by gunmen to storm the main building where lawmakers were in session.
Early reports indicate that no members of the Afghanistan Parliament were injured in the attack. However, officials at the scene noted several civilian deaths and dozens of injuries associated with the violence.
Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told the Associated Press that security forces pushed back the fighters who attempted to shoot their way into the main building and eventually corralled into a nearby building that was under construction. Sediqqi later said security forces killed all seven attackers. "It is over now," he announced.
The incident occurs in the context of a wider summer offensive by the Taliban, which has recently been staging attacks and gaining ground in northern provinces and elsewhere.
According to Reuters:
The brazen assault on the symbolic center of power, along with territorial gains elsewhere, highlight how NATO-trained Afghan security forces are struggling to cope with worsening militant violence.
Fighting has spiraled since the departure of most foreign forces from Afghanistan at the end of last year. The insurgents are pushing to take territory more than 13 years after U.S.-led military intervention toppled them from power.
And the Guardian, as part of its coverage, offered this roundup of the events of the morning:
- A woman and child were killed, and 40 civilians were injured in a brazen bomb and gun attack on the Afghan parliament in Kabul. A suicide car bomber and six gunmen were also killed in the attack.
- MPs were evacuated to safety amid chaotic scenes. The speaker of the Parliament, Abdul Rauf Ibrahim, managed to continue talking during the blast in a moment of calm under fire, which was captured live on TV.
- The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. A spokesman said it was timed to coincide with the appearance in parliament of Afghanistan's new defense minister, Mohammad Masoom Stanekzai.
- The attack was swiftly condemned by the UN and the prime ministers of both India and Pakistan. The UN said it was an affront to democracy.
- The attack raises new questions about Afghanistan's ability to maintain security without NATO's help. Over the weekend, Taliban forces took control of Chardara district in Kunduz. The continued insurgency also suggests divisions within the Taliban as it occurred soon after some senior Taliban figures entered talks in Qatar.