

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
A federal court on Monday ruled that a Michigan man can challenge his inclusion on the government's "No Fly List," in a move that is being celebrated as a victory for the hundreds of U.S. citizens assigned to that secretive list, as well as the countless Arab-Americans routinely subjected to similar racial profiling.
Reversing a previous district court ruling, Circuit Judge Julia Smith Gibbons ordered (pdf) "further proceedings" in the case of Saeb Mokdad, a Lebanese-American who has been prohibited three times from boarding a plane to visit his family in Lebanon since September 2012.
The Arab-American Civil Rights League (ACRL), which is defending Mokdad, argues that his placement on the terrorist screening list is unconstitutional. The suit specifically singles out the U.S. Attorney General, the director of the FBI, and the director of the Terrorist Screening Center (TSC), who are charged with placing people on the list. The ACRL also argues that the government must explain why Mokdad is included on the Terrorist Screening list and allow for a "meaningful opportunity" to contest his status.
Gibbons also ruled that a district court does have the authority to decide on such a case, which, as Salon reporter Ben Norton notes, "establish[es] a precedent for courts throughout the country."
There are as many as 47,000 people on the U.S. government's "No Fly List," according to documents leaked to The Intercept last year, including 800 Americans.
Following the court ruling, Mokdad's attorney, Nabih Ayad, said, "Today is a good day for our Constitution, a good day for Arab-Americans, and a good day for justice across this nation." Ayad added that the ruling confirms the ACRL's belief that "the unwarranted and unconstitutional profiling of an entire group of people simply based on their ethnicity must be struck down as a violation of this nation's highest law: the Constitution."
He continued, "By issuing today's ruling, the U.S. Sixth Circuit has dealt a huge blow against the continued and unjustifiable intimidation and harassment by the federal government against Arab Americans."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
A federal court on Monday ruled that a Michigan man can challenge his inclusion on the government's "No Fly List," in a move that is being celebrated as a victory for the hundreds of U.S. citizens assigned to that secretive list, as well as the countless Arab-Americans routinely subjected to similar racial profiling.
Reversing a previous district court ruling, Circuit Judge Julia Smith Gibbons ordered (pdf) "further proceedings" in the case of Saeb Mokdad, a Lebanese-American who has been prohibited three times from boarding a plane to visit his family in Lebanon since September 2012.
The Arab-American Civil Rights League (ACRL), which is defending Mokdad, argues that his placement on the terrorist screening list is unconstitutional. The suit specifically singles out the U.S. Attorney General, the director of the FBI, and the director of the Terrorist Screening Center (TSC), who are charged with placing people on the list. The ACRL also argues that the government must explain why Mokdad is included on the Terrorist Screening list and allow for a "meaningful opportunity" to contest his status.
Gibbons also ruled that a district court does have the authority to decide on such a case, which, as Salon reporter Ben Norton notes, "establish[es] a precedent for courts throughout the country."
There are as many as 47,000 people on the U.S. government's "No Fly List," according to documents leaked to The Intercept last year, including 800 Americans.
Following the court ruling, Mokdad's attorney, Nabih Ayad, said, "Today is a good day for our Constitution, a good day for Arab-Americans, and a good day for justice across this nation." Ayad added that the ruling confirms the ACRL's belief that "the unwarranted and unconstitutional profiling of an entire group of people simply based on their ethnicity must be struck down as a violation of this nation's highest law: the Constitution."
He continued, "By issuing today's ruling, the U.S. Sixth Circuit has dealt a huge blow against the continued and unjustifiable intimidation and harassment by the federal government against Arab Americans."
A federal court on Monday ruled that a Michigan man can challenge his inclusion on the government's "No Fly List," in a move that is being celebrated as a victory for the hundreds of U.S. citizens assigned to that secretive list, as well as the countless Arab-Americans routinely subjected to similar racial profiling.
Reversing a previous district court ruling, Circuit Judge Julia Smith Gibbons ordered (pdf) "further proceedings" in the case of Saeb Mokdad, a Lebanese-American who has been prohibited three times from boarding a plane to visit his family in Lebanon since September 2012.
The Arab-American Civil Rights League (ACRL), which is defending Mokdad, argues that his placement on the terrorist screening list is unconstitutional. The suit specifically singles out the U.S. Attorney General, the director of the FBI, and the director of the Terrorist Screening Center (TSC), who are charged with placing people on the list. The ACRL also argues that the government must explain why Mokdad is included on the Terrorist Screening list and allow for a "meaningful opportunity" to contest his status.
Gibbons also ruled that a district court does have the authority to decide on such a case, which, as Salon reporter Ben Norton notes, "establish[es] a precedent for courts throughout the country."
There are as many as 47,000 people on the U.S. government's "No Fly List," according to documents leaked to The Intercept last year, including 800 Americans.
Following the court ruling, Mokdad's attorney, Nabih Ayad, said, "Today is a good day for our Constitution, a good day for Arab-Americans, and a good day for justice across this nation." Ayad added that the ruling confirms the ACRL's belief that "the unwarranted and unconstitutional profiling of an entire group of people simply based on their ethnicity must be struck down as a violation of this nation's highest law: the Constitution."
He continued, "By issuing today's ruling, the U.S. Sixth Circuit has dealt a huge blow against the continued and unjustifiable intimidation and harassment by the federal government against Arab Americans."