

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
As McDonald's prepares to hold its annual meting on Thursday, low wage workers--buoyed by successes from the "unstoppable" Fight for $15 movement--are gearing up to confront the burger giant and again demand a decent wage and union rights.
On Wednesday, in addition to a mid-day strike at the flagship Rock N Roll McDonald's in Chicago, organizers say thousands of underpaid workers will stage a protest at the company's headquarters just outside the city, in Oak Brook, Illinois.
The suburban location will be the site of a second rally and march on Thursday as well as the shareholder meeting takes place.
According to a statement from organizers, in addition to those working for the fast food giant in the U.S. and abroad, other underpaid workers, including those in the child care and airport sectors, will be taking part.
"We're not just about $15 per hour," 20-year-old Ke'Jioun Johnson, who works at a McDonald's in Chicago, said to Reuters. "We're going to keep fighting until we get union rights," said Johnson, adding, "It's what we need to survive--a living wage and the hours to live off of."
As its workers eke out a living, "They company's stock is trading near all-time highs, spurred by a profit-boosting turnaround plan that includes all-day breakfast," Reuters notes.
That's a point noted by organizers as well, who say the low wages force workers to rely on public assistance--as such a sort of corporate welfare takes place. As the New York Times editorial board wrote last month, " taxpayers continue to pick up the difference between what fast-food workers earn and what they need to survive. An estimated $1.2 billion a year in taxpayer dollars goes toward public aid to help people who work at McDonald's."
McDonald's is also facing heat this week over its controversial "McTeacher's Nights."
During these fundraising events, McDonald's further markets itself to children by having teachers "work" and serve the fast food fare to their young students, and in so doing, says the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, the events
encourage students to eat junk food, undermining the hard work that parents, teachers, and administrators do to promote healthy habits for children. Parents and students trust teachers to do what's best for students' health. By enlisting teachers to market junk food to kids, McDonald's manipulates that trust. In the midst of one of the largest preventable health crises in the U.S. -- one that is closely linked to diet and increasingly affects children -- it's deeply irresponsible for McDonald's to exploit limited school budgets to market fast food to children.
Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood joined other advocacy groups Public Citizen and Corporate Accountability International this week in gathering roughly 30,000 petition signatures to McDonald's executives urging an end to the events.
"This profit-driven marketing ploy disproportionately targets children and takes advantage of the important relationships built on trust that students and teachers share," said Kristen Strader, campaign coordinator for Public Citizen's Commercial Alert program, in a media statement.
A former McDonald's' CEO, meanwhile, is making waves for his comments Tuesday on FOX Business Network's Mornings with Maria.
Ed Rensi said that increasing the wage to $15 an hour would "cause a job loss across this country like you're not going to believe," and suggested that it would instead be better to ditch the workers and purchase "a $35,000 robotic arm" to do the tasks.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
As McDonald's prepares to hold its annual meting on Thursday, low wage workers--buoyed by successes from the "unstoppable" Fight for $15 movement--are gearing up to confront the burger giant and again demand a decent wage and union rights.
On Wednesday, in addition to a mid-day strike at the flagship Rock N Roll McDonald's in Chicago, organizers say thousands of underpaid workers will stage a protest at the company's headquarters just outside the city, in Oak Brook, Illinois.
The suburban location will be the site of a second rally and march on Thursday as well as the shareholder meeting takes place.
According to a statement from organizers, in addition to those working for the fast food giant in the U.S. and abroad, other underpaid workers, including those in the child care and airport sectors, will be taking part.
"We're not just about $15 per hour," 20-year-old Ke'Jioun Johnson, who works at a McDonald's in Chicago, said to Reuters. "We're going to keep fighting until we get union rights," said Johnson, adding, "It's what we need to survive--a living wage and the hours to live off of."
As its workers eke out a living, "They company's stock is trading near all-time highs, spurred by a profit-boosting turnaround plan that includes all-day breakfast," Reuters notes.
That's a point noted by organizers as well, who say the low wages force workers to rely on public assistance--as such a sort of corporate welfare takes place. As the New York Times editorial board wrote last month, " taxpayers continue to pick up the difference between what fast-food workers earn and what they need to survive. An estimated $1.2 billion a year in taxpayer dollars goes toward public aid to help people who work at McDonald's."
McDonald's is also facing heat this week over its controversial "McTeacher's Nights."
During these fundraising events, McDonald's further markets itself to children by having teachers "work" and serve the fast food fare to their young students, and in so doing, says the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, the events
encourage students to eat junk food, undermining the hard work that parents, teachers, and administrators do to promote healthy habits for children. Parents and students trust teachers to do what's best for students' health. By enlisting teachers to market junk food to kids, McDonald's manipulates that trust. In the midst of one of the largest preventable health crises in the U.S. -- one that is closely linked to diet and increasingly affects children -- it's deeply irresponsible for McDonald's to exploit limited school budgets to market fast food to children.
Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood joined other advocacy groups Public Citizen and Corporate Accountability International this week in gathering roughly 30,000 petition signatures to McDonald's executives urging an end to the events.
"This profit-driven marketing ploy disproportionately targets children and takes advantage of the important relationships built on trust that students and teachers share," said Kristen Strader, campaign coordinator for Public Citizen's Commercial Alert program, in a media statement.
A former McDonald's' CEO, meanwhile, is making waves for his comments Tuesday on FOX Business Network's Mornings with Maria.
Ed Rensi said that increasing the wage to $15 an hour would "cause a job loss across this country like you're not going to believe," and suggested that it would instead be better to ditch the workers and purchase "a $35,000 robotic arm" to do the tasks.
As McDonald's prepares to hold its annual meting on Thursday, low wage workers--buoyed by successes from the "unstoppable" Fight for $15 movement--are gearing up to confront the burger giant and again demand a decent wage and union rights.
On Wednesday, in addition to a mid-day strike at the flagship Rock N Roll McDonald's in Chicago, organizers say thousands of underpaid workers will stage a protest at the company's headquarters just outside the city, in Oak Brook, Illinois.
The suburban location will be the site of a second rally and march on Thursday as well as the shareholder meeting takes place.
According to a statement from organizers, in addition to those working for the fast food giant in the U.S. and abroad, other underpaid workers, including those in the child care and airport sectors, will be taking part.
"We're not just about $15 per hour," 20-year-old Ke'Jioun Johnson, who works at a McDonald's in Chicago, said to Reuters. "We're going to keep fighting until we get union rights," said Johnson, adding, "It's what we need to survive--a living wage and the hours to live off of."
As its workers eke out a living, "They company's stock is trading near all-time highs, spurred by a profit-boosting turnaround plan that includes all-day breakfast," Reuters notes.
That's a point noted by organizers as well, who say the low wages force workers to rely on public assistance--as such a sort of corporate welfare takes place. As the New York Times editorial board wrote last month, " taxpayers continue to pick up the difference between what fast-food workers earn and what they need to survive. An estimated $1.2 billion a year in taxpayer dollars goes toward public aid to help people who work at McDonald's."
McDonald's is also facing heat this week over its controversial "McTeacher's Nights."
During these fundraising events, McDonald's further markets itself to children by having teachers "work" and serve the fast food fare to their young students, and in so doing, says the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, the events
encourage students to eat junk food, undermining the hard work that parents, teachers, and administrators do to promote healthy habits for children. Parents and students trust teachers to do what's best for students' health. By enlisting teachers to market junk food to kids, McDonald's manipulates that trust. In the midst of one of the largest preventable health crises in the U.S. -- one that is closely linked to diet and increasingly affects children -- it's deeply irresponsible for McDonald's to exploit limited school budgets to market fast food to children.
Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood joined other advocacy groups Public Citizen and Corporate Accountability International this week in gathering roughly 30,000 petition signatures to McDonald's executives urging an end to the events.
"This profit-driven marketing ploy disproportionately targets children and takes advantage of the important relationships built on trust that students and teachers share," said Kristen Strader, campaign coordinator for Public Citizen's Commercial Alert program, in a media statement.
A former McDonald's' CEO, meanwhile, is making waves for his comments Tuesday on FOX Business Network's Mornings with Maria.
Ed Rensi said that increasing the wage to $15 an hour would "cause a job loss across this country like you're not going to believe," and suggested that it would instead be better to ditch the workers and purchase "a $35,000 robotic arm" to do the tasks.