

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Just a few days after blacklisting the Saudi Arabia-led military coalition for killing children in Yemen, the United Nations on Monday removed the group from its tally of armed states that violate children's rights during conflict.
Amnesty International blasted the UN for "shamefully" caving to pressure to scrub the coalition from the so-called "list of shame" after an annual report found that the Saudi-led, U.S.-backed group was responsible for 60 percent of child deaths and injuries in Yemen in 2015.
"It is unprecedented for the UN to bow to pressure to alter its own published report on children in armed conflict. It is unconscionable that this pressure was brought to bear by one of the very states listed in the report," said Richard Bennett, representative and head of Amnesty International's UN Office.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon reportedly agreed to a joint review, conducted by the UN and the Saudi coalition, of the cases cited in the report--which included attacks on schools and hospitals--after a complaint from Saudi Arabia.
The Saudi ambassador to the UN, Abdallah al-Mouallimi, called the report "wildly exaggerated." While Ban claimed that the removal of the coalition from the blacklist was temporary pending the results of the review, which he said would aim to "reflect the highest standards of accuracy possible," the Saudi government hailed it as a victory.
Al-Mouallimi called the decision "final and unconditional" and said he had been "vindicated."
Amnesty described the UN's actions as a "shocking flip-flop" that could raise the stakes for children in conflict.
"This is a stark example of why the UN needs to stand up for human rights and its own principles--otherwise it will rapidly become part of the problem rather than the solution," Bennett said. "By taking a step further, the Secretary-General has set a dangerous precedent that will put the lives of children in countries in conflict at even greater risk."
Philippe Bolopion, deputy director of global advocacy at Human Rights Watch, added, "The UN secretary general's office has hit a new low by capitulating to Saudi Arabia's brazen pressure and taking the country off its just published list of shame. Yemen's children deserve better."
"As the UN list of shame gives way to political manipulation, it loses its credibility and taints the Secretary-General's legacy on human rights," he said.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Just a few days after blacklisting the Saudi Arabia-led military coalition for killing children in Yemen, the United Nations on Monday removed the group from its tally of armed states that violate children's rights during conflict.
Amnesty International blasted the UN for "shamefully" caving to pressure to scrub the coalition from the so-called "list of shame" after an annual report found that the Saudi-led, U.S.-backed group was responsible for 60 percent of child deaths and injuries in Yemen in 2015.
"It is unprecedented for the UN to bow to pressure to alter its own published report on children in armed conflict. It is unconscionable that this pressure was brought to bear by one of the very states listed in the report," said Richard Bennett, representative and head of Amnesty International's UN Office.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon reportedly agreed to a joint review, conducted by the UN and the Saudi coalition, of the cases cited in the report--which included attacks on schools and hospitals--after a complaint from Saudi Arabia.
The Saudi ambassador to the UN, Abdallah al-Mouallimi, called the report "wildly exaggerated." While Ban claimed that the removal of the coalition from the blacklist was temporary pending the results of the review, which he said would aim to "reflect the highest standards of accuracy possible," the Saudi government hailed it as a victory.
Al-Mouallimi called the decision "final and unconditional" and said he had been "vindicated."
Amnesty described the UN's actions as a "shocking flip-flop" that could raise the stakes for children in conflict.
"This is a stark example of why the UN needs to stand up for human rights and its own principles--otherwise it will rapidly become part of the problem rather than the solution," Bennett said. "By taking a step further, the Secretary-General has set a dangerous precedent that will put the lives of children in countries in conflict at even greater risk."
Philippe Bolopion, deputy director of global advocacy at Human Rights Watch, added, "The UN secretary general's office has hit a new low by capitulating to Saudi Arabia's brazen pressure and taking the country off its just published list of shame. Yemen's children deserve better."
"As the UN list of shame gives way to political manipulation, it loses its credibility and taints the Secretary-General's legacy on human rights," he said.
Just a few days after blacklisting the Saudi Arabia-led military coalition for killing children in Yemen, the United Nations on Monday removed the group from its tally of armed states that violate children's rights during conflict.
Amnesty International blasted the UN for "shamefully" caving to pressure to scrub the coalition from the so-called "list of shame" after an annual report found that the Saudi-led, U.S.-backed group was responsible for 60 percent of child deaths and injuries in Yemen in 2015.
"It is unprecedented for the UN to bow to pressure to alter its own published report on children in armed conflict. It is unconscionable that this pressure was brought to bear by one of the very states listed in the report," said Richard Bennett, representative and head of Amnesty International's UN Office.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon reportedly agreed to a joint review, conducted by the UN and the Saudi coalition, of the cases cited in the report--which included attacks on schools and hospitals--after a complaint from Saudi Arabia.
The Saudi ambassador to the UN, Abdallah al-Mouallimi, called the report "wildly exaggerated." While Ban claimed that the removal of the coalition from the blacklist was temporary pending the results of the review, which he said would aim to "reflect the highest standards of accuracy possible," the Saudi government hailed it as a victory.
Al-Mouallimi called the decision "final and unconditional" and said he had been "vindicated."
Amnesty described the UN's actions as a "shocking flip-flop" that could raise the stakes for children in conflict.
"This is a stark example of why the UN needs to stand up for human rights and its own principles--otherwise it will rapidly become part of the problem rather than the solution," Bennett said. "By taking a step further, the Secretary-General has set a dangerous precedent that will put the lives of children in countries in conflict at even greater risk."
Philippe Bolopion, deputy director of global advocacy at Human Rights Watch, added, "The UN secretary general's office has hit a new low by capitulating to Saudi Arabia's brazen pressure and taking the country off its just published list of shame. Yemen's children deserve better."
"As the UN list of shame gives way to political manipulation, it loses its credibility and taints the Secretary-General's legacy on human rights," he said.