

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Israeli police are officially permitted to use deadly force against stone-throwing Palestinian teenagers, according to updated regulations made public on Tuesday by an Israel-based human rights organization.
The new open-fire regulations, revealed by Adalah, a rights organization and legal center that defends Palestinians living in Israel as well as the occupied territories, state that "an officer is permitted to open fire [with live ammunition] directly on an individual who clearly appears to be throwing or is about to throw a firebomb, or who is shooting or is about to shoot fireworks, in order to prevent endangerment."
Vetted and authorized by Israeli Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit, the official regulations specify that "stone throwing using a slingshot"--a common tactic among Palestinian youths living under Israeli occupation--is an example of a situation that would justify fatal recourse. Previously, lethal force had been reserved as a final option when confronting such behavior.
Commenting on the newly-revealed regulations, journalist and Electronic Intifada associate editor Rania Khalek wrote online, "Israel essentially authorized extra-judicial execution of Palestinian children for acts not yet committed."
Just last month, Israeli troops shot dead a 15-year-old Palestinian boy because they "mistakenly" associated him with a group that was throwing stones.
"The new regulations allow officers to act in an unchecked and criminal manner," said Adalah attorney Mohammad Bassam. "The chances that actions such as stone throwing or shooting of fireworks would present a life-threatening danger are extremely slim and there is no doubt that it is possible to handle such situations using non-lethal means.
"Nevertheless," Bassam continued, "the new regulations relate to such actions as if they were acts of war and grant legitimacy to light-trigger fingers [among officers], thus posing a fatal danger to the lives of young Palestinians.
"In addition," he said, "it is clear that the regulations do not refer to just any stone throwers but that they were written specifically regarding Palestinian youths."
The new measures were first approved by Israel's security cabinet in September 2015, according to Al Jazeera, after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared "war" against those who throw stones.
As Al Jazeera's Nigel Wilson notes, "The move brought the Israeli police force's rules of engagement into line with the Israeli military operating in the occupied West Bank," where the forces "have faced criticism for the way they interpret the 'threat to life' and their subsequent use of lethal force against Palestinians."
The updated regulations were only revealed in part as Israel police continued to censor significant portions which, according to Adalah, are likely regulate the use of the Ruger rifle--a U.S.-made sniper rifle commonly used by Israeli forces against demonstrators and stone-throwers--or concern the handling of "security-related" offenses.
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Israeli police are officially permitted to use deadly force against stone-throwing Palestinian teenagers, according to updated regulations made public on Tuesday by an Israel-based human rights organization.
The new open-fire regulations, revealed by Adalah, a rights organization and legal center that defends Palestinians living in Israel as well as the occupied territories, state that "an officer is permitted to open fire [with live ammunition] directly on an individual who clearly appears to be throwing or is about to throw a firebomb, or who is shooting or is about to shoot fireworks, in order to prevent endangerment."
Vetted and authorized by Israeli Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit, the official regulations specify that "stone throwing using a slingshot"--a common tactic among Palestinian youths living under Israeli occupation--is an example of a situation that would justify fatal recourse. Previously, lethal force had been reserved as a final option when confronting such behavior.
Commenting on the newly-revealed regulations, journalist and Electronic Intifada associate editor Rania Khalek wrote online, "Israel essentially authorized extra-judicial execution of Palestinian children for acts not yet committed."
Just last month, Israeli troops shot dead a 15-year-old Palestinian boy because they "mistakenly" associated him with a group that was throwing stones.
"The new regulations allow officers to act in an unchecked and criminal manner," said Adalah attorney Mohammad Bassam. "The chances that actions such as stone throwing or shooting of fireworks would present a life-threatening danger are extremely slim and there is no doubt that it is possible to handle such situations using non-lethal means.
"Nevertheless," Bassam continued, "the new regulations relate to such actions as if they were acts of war and grant legitimacy to light-trigger fingers [among officers], thus posing a fatal danger to the lives of young Palestinians.
"In addition," he said, "it is clear that the regulations do not refer to just any stone throwers but that they were written specifically regarding Palestinian youths."
The new measures were first approved by Israel's security cabinet in September 2015, according to Al Jazeera, after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared "war" against those who throw stones.
As Al Jazeera's Nigel Wilson notes, "The move brought the Israeli police force's rules of engagement into line with the Israeli military operating in the occupied West Bank," where the forces "have faced criticism for the way they interpret the 'threat to life' and their subsequent use of lethal force against Palestinians."
The updated regulations were only revealed in part as Israel police continued to censor significant portions which, according to Adalah, are likely regulate the use of the Ruger rifle--a U.S.-made sniper rifle commonly used by Israeli forces against demonstrators and stone-throwers--or concern the handling of "security-related" offenses.
Israeli police are officially permitted to use deadly force against stone-throwing Palestinian teenagers, according to updated regulations made public on Tuesday by an Israel-based human rights organization.
The new open-fire regulations, revealed by Adalah, a rights organization and legal center that defends Palestinians living in Israel as well as the occupied territories, state that "an officer is permitted to open fire [with live ammunition] directly on an individual who clearly appears to be throwing or is about to throw a firebomb, or who is shooting or is about to shoot fireworks, in order to prevent endangerment."
Vetted and authorized by Israeli Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit, the official regulations specify that "stone throwing using a slingshot"--a common tactic among Palestinian youths living under Israeli occupation--is an example of a situation that would justify fatal recourse. Previously, lethal force had been reserved as a final option when confronting such behavior.
Commenting on the newly-revealed regulations, journalist and Electronic Intifada associate editor Rania Khalek wrote online, "Israel essentially authorized extra-judicial execution of Palestinian children for acts not yet committed."
Just last month, Israeli troops shot dead a 15-year-old Palestinian boy because they "mistakenly" associated him with a group that was throwing stones.
"The new regulations allow officers to act in an unchecked and criminal manner," said Adalah attorney Mohammad Bassam. "The chances that actions such as stone throwing or shooting of fireworks would present a life-threatening danger are extremely slim and there is no doubt that it is possible to handle such situations using non-lethal means.
"Nevertheless," Bassam continued, "the new regulations relate to such actions as if they were acts of war and grant legitimacy to light-trigger fingers [among officers], thus posing a fatal danger to the lives of young Palestinians.
"In addition," he said, "it is clear that the regulations do not refer to just any stone throwers but that they were written specifically regarding Palestinian youths."
The new measures were first approved by Israel's security cabinet in September 2015, according to Al Jazeera, after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared "war" against those who throw stones.
As Al Jazeera's Nigel Wilson notes, "The move brought the Israeli police force's rules of engagement into line with the Israeli military operating in the occupied West Bank," where the forces "have faced criticism for the way they interpret the 'threat to life' and their subsequent use of lethal force against Palestinians."
The updated regulations were only revealed in part as Israel police continued to censor significant portions which, according to Adalah, are likely regulate the use of the Ruger rifle--a U.S.-made sniper rifle commonly used by Israeli forces against demonstrators and stone-throwers--or concern the handling of "security-related" offenses.