

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Roger Ailes, the embattled chief executive of Fox News, resigned Thursday amid allegations that he had sexually harassed and retaliated against women at the network for decades.
Ailes' resignation comes along with the stipulation that he cannot start a new media outlet to compete with Fox, as insiders speculated he might do; however, he will get the $40 million payout that many saw as an outrageous sum for a disgraced mogul. As the New York Times points out, that "amounts to the remainder of his existing employment contract through 2018."
Rupert Murdoch, who owns 21st Century Fox, the news network's parent company, will step in as acting chairman and CEO.
The departure was set into motion after anchor Gretchen Carlson filed a bombshell lawsuit earlier this month accusing Ailes of having her fired from her weekday news show after she rebuffed his sexual advances. In the intervening weeks, more than a dozen women, including Carlson's Fox News colleague and star anchor Megyn Kelly, said they'd been harassed by Ailes--stories that stretched as far back as the 1960s.
Attorneys for Carlson said the mogul's downfall represented a "seismic shift in the media world."
One of her lawyers, Nancy Erika Smith, said in response to Ailes' ouster, "We hope that all businesses now understand that women will no longer tolerate sexual harassment, and reputable companies will no longer shield those who abuse women."
But some observers are not so sure that message will get through. As Jessica Valenti writes for the Guardian, "removing one lascivious man can't turn around the mess of misogyny that is Fox News."
In her column titled titled "Fox News is a cesspool of sexism. Firing Roger Ailes won't fix that," Valenti writes:
This is a network that bans its female on-air talent from wearing pants, where a host characterized a military operation against ISIS led by a woman as "boobs on the ground" and the ethos of the coverage is shockingly antagonistic to women's rights.
[....] I have no doubt that the leadership of a man who may have told a woman "you might have to give a blowjob every once in a while" for him to help with her career would impact the tone of coverage on women at Fox News. But the disparagement of women at Fox, whether its employees or its viewers, isn't just about Ailes. So long as the network is a mouthpiece for the right, it will continue to reflect outdated notions about women's roles.
Meanwhile, as Mona Chalabi points out in a separate column, sexual harassment at work rarely results in charges against the perpetrator. In the U.S., "over half of sexual harassment claims result in no charge," while "75 percent of people who experience sexual harassment do not report it," she writes.
"The issue is a global one," Chalabi continues. "For example, according to the United Nations, 'between 40 and 50 percent of women in European Union countries experience unwanted sexual advancements, physical contact, or other forms of sexual harassment at their workplace.'"
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Roger Ailes, the embattled chief executive of Fox News, resigned Thursday amid allegations that he had sexually harassed and retaliated against women at the network for decades.
Ailes' resignation comes along with the stipulation that he cannot start a new media outlet to compete with Fox, as insiders speculated he might do; however, he will get the $40 million payout that many saw as an outrageous sum for a disgraced mogul. As the New York Times points out, that "amounts to the remainder of his existing employment contract through 2018."
Rupert Murdoch, who owns 21st Century Fox, the news network's parent company, will step in as acting chairman and CEO.
The departure was set into motion after anchor Gretchen Carlson filed a bombshell lawsuit earlier this month accusing Ailes of having her fired from her weekday news show after she rebuffed his sexual advances. In the intervening weeks, more than a dozen women, including Carlson's Fox News colleague and star anchor Megyn Kelly, said they'd been harassed by Ailes--stories that stretched as far back as the 1960s.
Attorneys for Carlson said the mogul's downfall represented a "seismic shift in the media world."
One of her lawyers, Nancy Erika Smith, said in response to Ailes' ouster, "We hope that all businesses now understand that women will no longer tolerate sexual harassment, and reputable companies will no longer shield those who abuse women."
But some observers are not so sure that message will get through. As Jessica Valenti writes for the Guardian, "removing one lascivious man can't turn around the mess of misogyny that is Fox News."
In her column titled titled "Fox News is a cesspool of sexism. Firing Roger Ailes won't fix that," Valenti writes:
This is a network that bans its female on-air talent from wearing pants, where a host characterized a military operation against ISIS led by a woman as "boobs on the ground" and the ethos of the coverage is shockingly antagonistic to women's rights.
[....] I have no doubt that the leadership of a man who may have told a woman "you might have to give a blowjob every once in a while" for him to help with her career would impact the tone of coverage on women at Fox News. But the disparagement of women at Fox, whether its employees or its viewers, isn't just about Ailes. So long as the network is a mouthpiece for the right, it will continue to reflect outdated notions about women's roles.
Meanwhile, as Mona Chalabi points out in a separate column, sexual harassment at work rarely results in charges against the perpetrator. In the U.S., "over half of sexual harassment claims result in no charge," while "75 percent of people who experience sexual harassment do not report it," she writes.
"The issue is a global one," Chalabi continues. "For example, according to the United Nations, 'between 40 and 50 percent of women in European Union countries experience unwanted sexual advancements, physical contact, or other forms of sexual harassment at their workplace.'"
Roger Ailes, the embattled chief executive of Fox News, resigned Thursday amid allegations that he had sexually harassed and retaliated against women at the network for decades.
Ailes' resignation comes along with the stipulation that he cannot start a new media outlet to compete with Fox, as insiders speculated he might do; however, he will get the $40 million payout that many saw as an outrageous sum for a disgraced mogul. As the New York Times points out, that "amounts to the remainder of his existing employment contract through 2018."
Rupert Murdoch, who owns 21st Century Fox, the news network's parent company, will step in as acting chairman and CEO.
The departure was set into motion after anchor Gretchen Carlson filed a bombshell lawsuit earlier this month accusing Ailes of having her fired from her weekday news show after she rebuffed his sexual advances. In the intervening weeks, more than a dozen women, including Carlson's Fox News colleague and star anchor Megyn Kelly, said they'd been harassed by Ailes--stories that stretched as far back as the 1960s.
Attorneys for Carlson said the mogul's downfall represented a "seismic shift in the media world."
One of her lawyers, Nancy Erika Smith, said in response to Ailes' ouster, "We hope that all businesses now understand that women will no longer tolerate sexual harassment, and reputable companies will no longer shield those who abuse women."
But some observers are not so sure that message will get through. As Jessica Valenti writes for the Guardian, "removing one lascivious man can't turn around the mess of misogyny that is Fox News."
In her column titled titled "Fox News is a cesspool of sexism. Firing Roger Ailes won't fix that," Valenti writes:
This is a network that bans its female on-air talent from wearing pants, where a host characterized a military operation against ISIS led by a woman as "boobs on the ground" and the ethos of the coverage is shockingly antagonistic to women's rights.
[....] I have no doubt that the leadership of a man who may have told a woman "you might have to give a blowjob every once in a while" for him to help with her career would impact the tone of coverage on women at Fox News. But the disparagement of women at Fox, whether its employees or its viewers, isn't just about Ailes. So long as the network is a mouthpiece for the right, it will continue to reflect outdated notions about women's roles.
Meanwhile, as Mona Chalabi points out in a separate column, sexual harassment at work rarely results in charges against the perpetrator. In the U.S., "over half of sexual harassment claims result in no charge," while "75 percent of people who experience sexual harassment do not report it," she writes.
"The issue is a global one," Chalabi continues. "For example, according to the United Nations, 'between 40 and 50 percent of women in European Union countries experience unwanted sexual advancements, physical contact, or other forms of sexual harassment at their workplace.'"