

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.


Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Some said Donald Trump's presidential campaign had reached "the point of no return" after the Washington Post on Friday published a tape of the candidate making vulgar and predatory remarks about women during a 2005 conversation with Access Hollywood correspondent Billy Bush.
Trump early Saturday issued what the New York Times described as "an unusual videotaped apology," copping to the exchange in which he boasted about kissing and grabbing women, saying "when you're a star...you can do anything."
Saturday's apology came on the heels of a more casual dismissal Trump offered Friday night, and "amid an unprecedented outpouring of anger from conservatives, some of whom are demanding he pull out of the race entirely," as The Hill reported. The scandal broke about 48 hours before the second televised debate between Trump and rival Hillary Clinton, taking place Sunday evening.
"It's over," a Republican strategist who has been supportive of Trump told NBC News. "Never seen anything like it. Never will."
But while many top Republicans expressed outrage over the latest example of Trump's sexism, only some went as far as to formally rescind their endorsement of the candidate or to call on him to quit the race.
Indeed, Politico wrote Saturday, as "Trump and his senior aides huddled to strategize next steps, many Republicans felt paralyzed--stuck with a candidate few ever wholeheartedly embraced with only 31 days left until Election Day."
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) appeared to be one of them. Saying he was "sickened" by what the tape revealed, Ryan announced Trump had been disinvited from a scheduled joint appearance at Fall Fest in Elkhorn, Wisconsin on Saturday. But he didn't say he wouldn't vote for Trump, drawing ire on social media.
Meanwhile, others lamented that it took this long for conservatives to turn on Trump, given the racism, sexism, and xenophobia that has infused his entire campaign.
And still others wondered if the latest brouhaha would have any lasting effect on the race in today's fast-moving media cycle.
"Trump has said things that would have knocked other candidates out in a heartbeat," a Wisconsin Republican told Politico hours after the tape broke. "It is unlikely his hardcore supporters will turn on him, but Republicans and independents who were moving his way are now back in the confused and uncertain state. Trump won't overcome the statements--he will just move on, and in 24 hours the media will have something else to talk about."
Dear Common Dreams reader, It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements. No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Many people said we wouldn't last a year, but we proved those doubters wrong. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed. When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going. At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we. Will you donate now to make sure Common Dreams not only survives but thrives? —Craig Brown, Co-founder |
Some said Donald Trump's presidential campaign had reached "the point of no return" after the Washington Post on Friday published a tape of the candidate making vulgar and predatory remarks about women during a 2005 conversation with Access Hollywood correspondent Billy Bush.
Trump early Saturday issued what the New York Times described as "an unusual videotaped apology," copping to the exchange in which he boasted about kissing and grabbing women, saying "when you're a star...you can do anything."
Saturday's apology came on the heels of a more casual dismissal Trump offered Friday night, and "amid an unprecedented outpouring of anger from conservatives, some of whom are demanding he pull out of the race entirely," as The Hill reported. The scandal broke about 48 hours before the second televised debate between Trump and rival Hillary Clinton, taking place Sunday evening.
"It's over," a Republican strategist who has been supportive of Trump told NBC News. "Never seen anything like it. Never will."
But while many top Republicans expressed outrage over the latest example of Trump's sexism, only some went as far as to formally rescind their endorsement of the candidate or to call on him to quit the race.
Indeed, Politico wrote Saturday, as "Trump and his senior aides huddled to strategize next steps, many Republicans felt paralyzed--stuck with a candidate few ever wholeheartedly embraced with only 31 days left until Election Day."
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) appeared to be one of them. Saying he was "sickened" by what the tape revealed, Ryan announced Trump had been disinvited from a scheduled joint appearance at Fall Fest in Elkhorn, Wisconsin on Saturday. But he didn't say he wouldn't vote for Trump, drawing ire on social media.
Meanwhile, others lamented that it took this long for conservatives to turn on Trump, given the racism, sexism, and xenophobia that has infused his entire campaign.
And still others wondered if the latest brouhaha would have any lasting effect on the race in today's fast-moving media cycle.
"Trump has said things that would have knocked other candidates out in a heartbeat," a Wisconsin Republican told Politico hours after the tape broke. "It is unlikely his hardcore supporters will turn on him, but Republicans and independents who were moving his way are now back in the confused and uncertain state. Trump won't overcome the statements--he will just move on, and in 24 hours the media will have something else to talk about."
Some said Donald Trump's presidential campaign had reached "the point of no return" after the Washington Post on Friday published a tape of the candidate making vulgar and predatory remarks about women during a 2005 conversation with Access Hollywood correspondent Billy Bush.
Trump early Saturday issued what the New York Times described as "an unusual videotaped apology," copping to the exchange in which he boasted about kissing and grabbing women, saying "when you're a star...you can do anything."
Saturday's apology came on the heels of a more casual dismissal Trump offered Friday night, and "amid an unprecedented outpouring of anger from conservatives, some of whom are demanding he pull out of the race entirely," as The Hill reported. The scandal broke about 48 hours before the second televised debate between Trump and rival Hillary Clinton, taking place Sunday evening.
"It's over," a Republican strategist who has been supportive of Trump told NBC News. "Never seen anything like it. Never will."
But while many top Republicans expressed outrage over the latest example of Trump's sexism, only some went as far as to formally rescind their endorsement of the candidate or to call on him to quit the race.
Indeed, Politico wrote Saturday, as "Trump and his senior aides huddled to strategize next steps, many Republicans felt paralyzed--stuck with a candidate few ever wholeheartedly embraced with only 31 days left until Election Day."
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) appeared to be one of them. Saying he was "sickened" by what the tape revealed, Ryan announced Trump had been disinvited from a scheduled joint appearance at Fall Fest in Elkhorn, Wisconsin on Saturday. But he didn't say he wouldn't vote for Trump, drawing ire on social media.
Meanwhile, others lamented that it took this long for conservatives to turn on Trump, given the racism, sexism, and xenophobia that has infused his entire campaign.
And still others wondered if the latest brouhaha would have any lasting effect on the race in today's fast-moving media cycle.
"Trump has said things that would have knocked other candidates out in a heartbeat," a Wisconsin Republican told Politico hours after the tape broke. "It is unlikely his hardcore supporters will turn on him, but Republicans and independents who were moving his way are now back in the confused and uncertain state. Trump won't overcome the statements--he will just move on, and in 24 hours the media will have something else to talk about."