SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
5
#000000
#FFFFFF
To donate by check, phone, or other method, see our More Ways to Give page.
Daily news & progressive opinion—funded by the people, not the corporations—delivered straight to your inbox.
Several climate change-related tweets from the Badlands National Park official account on Tuesday have been deleted. (Photo: J Troup/flickr/cc)
A series of climate change-related tweets from the official Badlands National Park account went viral on Tuesday--the same day the Trump administration continued its war on science by instituting a media blackout at two federal agencies.
The postings included factual information such as: "Today, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is higher than at any time in the last 650,000 years. #climate."
Though the four tweets were deleted by early Tuesday evening, they had already been widely retweeted and "live on," having been captured by social media users in screenshots:
According to several news outlets, the park was not asked to delete the tweets but did so of its own accord. An unnamed National Park Service employee said that the tweets were posted by a former employee and said, "The park was not told to remove the tweets but chose to do so when they realized that their account had been compromised."
"At this time, National Park Service social media managers are encouraged to continue the use of Twitter to post information relating to public safety and park information, with the exception of content related to national policy issues," a statement from the National Park Service said.
The "rogue" tweets sparked the hashtag #Badasslands and the Twitter account @AltNatParkSer, which describes itself as "The Unofficial 'Resistance' team of U.S. National Park Service." It is "being run by several active NPS rangers and friends," one tweet indicates, and the account has pinned this tweet:
\u201cCan't wait for President Trump to call us FAKE NEWS. \n\nYou can take our official twitter, but you'll never take our free time!\u201d— NOT ALT WORLD (@NOT ALT WORLD) 1485313627
And on the official Badlands National Park account, the now-deleted tweets continue to make appearances and be referenced in responses, such as suggestions for a caption for this photo:
\u201cCAPTION THIS!\u201d— Badlands Nat'l Park (@Badlands Nat'l Park) 1485283825
\u201c@BadlandsNPS\u201d— Badlands Nat'l Park (@Badlands Nat'l Park) 1485283825
Trump and Musk are on an unconstitutional rampage, aiming for virtually every corner of the federal government. These two right-wing billionaires are targeting nurses, scientists, teachers, daycare providers, judges, veterans, air traffic controllers, and nuclear safety inspectors. No one is safe. The food stamps program, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are next. It’s an unprecedented disaster and a five-alarm fire, but there will be a reckoning. The people did not vote for this. The American people do not want this dystopian hellscape that hides behind claims of “efficiency.” Still, in reality, it is all a giveaway to corporate interests and the libertarian dreams of far-right oligarchs like Musk. Common Dreams is playing a vital role by reporting day and night on this orgy of corruption and greed, as well as what everyday people can do to organize and fight back. As a people-powered nonprofit news outlet, we cover issues the corporate media never will, but we can only continue with our readers’ support. |
A series of climate change-related tweets from the official Badlands National Park account went viral on Tuesday--the same day the Trump administration continued its war on science by instituting a media blackout at two federal agencies.
The postings included factual information such as: "Today, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is higher than at any time in the last 650,000 years. #climate."
Though the four tweets were deleted by early Tuesday evening, they had already been widely retweeted and "live on," having been captured by social media users in screenshots:
According to several news outlets, the park was not asked to delete the tweets but did so of its own accord. An unnamed National Park Service employee said that the tweets were posted by a former employee and said, "The park was not told to remove the tweets but chose to do so when they realized that their account had been compromised."
"At this time, National Park Service social media managers are encouraged to continue the use of Twitter to post information relating to public safety and park information, with the exception of content related to national policy issues," a statement from the National Park Service said.
The "rogue" tweets sparked the hashtag #Badasslands and the Twitter account @AltNatParkSer, which describes itself as "The Unofficial 'Resistance' team of U.S. National Park Service." It is "being run by several active NPS rangers and friends," one tweet indicates, and the account has pinned this tweet:
\u201cCan't wait for President Trump to call us FAKE NEWS. \n\nYou can take our official twitter, but you'll never take our free time!\u201d— NOT ALT WORLD (@NOT ALT WORLD) 1485313627
And on the official Badlands National Park account, the now-deleted tweets continue to make appearances and be referenced in responses, such as suggestions for a caption for this photo:
\u201cCAPTION THIS!\u201d— Badlands Nat'l Park (@Badlands Nat'l Park) 1485283825
\u201c@BadlandsNPS\u201d— Badlands Nat'l Park (@Badlands Nat'l Park) 1485283825
A series of climate change-related tweets from the official Badlands National Park account went viral on Tuesday--the same day the Trump administration continued its war on science by instituting a media blackout at two federal agencies.
The postings included factual information such as: "Today, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is higher than at any time in the last 650,000 years. #climate."
Though the four tweets were deleted by early Tuesday evening, they had already been widely retweeted and "live on," having been captured by social media users in screenshots:
According to several news outlets, the park was not asked to delete the tweets but did so of its own accord. An unnamed National Park Service employee said that the tweets were posted by a former employee and said, "The park was not told to remove the tweets but chose to do so when they realized that their account had been compromised."
"At this time, National Park Service social media managers are encouraged to continue the use of Twitter to post information relating to public safety and park information, with the exception of content related to national policy issues," a statement from the National Park Service said.
The "rogue" tweets sparked the hashtag #Badasslands and the Twitter account @AltNatParkSer, which describes itself as "The Unofficial 'Resistance' team of U.S. National Park Service." It is "being run by several active NPS rangers and friends," one tweet indicates, and the account has pinned this tweet:
\u201cCan't wait for President Trump to call us FAKE NEWS. \n\nYou can take our official twitter, but you'll never take our free time!\u201d— NOT ALT WORLD (@NOT ALT WORLD) 1485313627
And on the official Badlands National Park account, the now-deleted tweets continue to make appearances and be referenced in responses, such as suggestions for a caption for this photo:
\u201cCAPTION THIS!\u201d— Badlands Nat'l Park (@Badlands Nat'l Park) 1485283825
\u201c@BadlandsNPS\u201d— Badlands Nat'l Park (@Badlands Nat'l Park) 1485283825