
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman attends a meeting with the United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres at the United Nations on March 27, 2018 in New York. (Photo: Bryan R. Smith/AFP/Getty Images)
Petition Filed at ICC to Probe Saudi Ruler MBS for Role in Murder of Jamal Khashoggi
"Nothing of significance happens in the kingdom absent the crown prince's direction or approval."
As human rights advocates marked the one-year anniversary Wednesday of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a U.S.-based law firm revealed that it filed in July a petition at the International Criminal Court to investigate Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman over his role in the killing and other crimes against humanity.
According to CNN,
Attorneys Bruce Fein, a former associate deputy attorney general under President Ronald Reagan, and W. Bruce DelValle drafted the petition on behalf of the National Interest Foundation, a Washington nonprofit frequently critical of U.S. policy in the Middle East, saying Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman "has ruthlessly and systematically persecuted his political detractors, opponents, or rivals," since being elevated to his position in June 2017. The petition was submitted in July but had not been made public.
Al Jazeera reported that the filing was made public Wednesday.
The document states, in part, that MBS, the de facto ruler, has engaged in "a widespread... systematic attack directed at civilian political opponents" in and out of the kingdom, through which he is "guilty of murder, torture, rape, extortion, illegal detentions, wrongful prosecutions, and the death penalty, i.e., crimes against humanity as defined in Article 7 of the Rome Statute."
"A component of the crown prince's systematic attacks or persecution of his opponents," the filing states, "was his order to assassinate courageous journalist Jamal Khashoggi, which was executed by the Saudi Raid Intervention Group by killing and dismembering... him in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey."
"Even if he said he did not order the assassination of Mr. Khashoggi, the law makes him culpable for it," Fein told Al Jazeera. "As someone who knows everything of significance in Saudi Arabia, MBS should have known about the planned murder even if he was not supervising his thugs."
"Nothing of significance happens in the kingdom absent the crown prince's direction or approval," the filing says.
U.S. intelligence services determined last year that MBS was likely behind the assassination of Khashoggi. And Agnes Callamard, the U.N. special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary, or arbitrary executions, concluded in June following a five-month probe that Khashoggie's "premeditated killing" was likely orchestrated by top Saudi officials.
"Every expert consulted finds it inconceivable that an operation of this scale could be implemented without the crown prince being aware, at a minimum, that some sort of mission of a criminal nature, directed at Mr. Khashoggi, was being launched," wrote Callamard.
MBS for his part, told CBS this week that he takes "full responsibility" for the killing--which he called "a mistake"--though he denied ordering the killing.
Callamard, in an interview with Reuters, said that MBS was "recognizing implicitly at least that the killing was a state killing" and that an assassination that implicated "a consulate requires preparation and planning and ultimately premeditation for 24 hours, is not a mistake."
An Urgent Message From Our Co-Founder
Dear Common Dreams reader, The U.S. is on a fast track to authoritarianism like nothing I've ever seen. Meanwhile, corporate news outlets are utterly capitulating to Trump, twisting their coverage to avoid drawing his ire while lining up to stuff cash in his pockets. That's why I believe that Common Dreams is doing the best and most consequential reporting that we've ever done. Our small but mighty team is a progressive reporting powerhouse, covering the news every day that the corporate media never will. Our mission has always been simple: To inform. To inspire. And to ignite change for the common good. Now here's the key piece that I want all our readers to understand: None of this would be possible without your financial support. That's not just some fundraising cliche. It's the absolute and literal truth. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay. Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. The final deadline for our crucial Summer Campaign fundraising drive is just days away, and we’re falling short of our must-hit goal. Will you donate now to help power the nonprofit, independent reporting of Common Dreams? Thank you for being a vital member of our community. Together, we can keep independent journalism alive when it’s needed most. - Craig Brown, Co-founder |
As human rights advocates marked the one-year anniversary Wednesday of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a U.S.-based law firm revealed that it filed in July a petition at the International Criminal Court to investigate Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman over his role in the killing and other crimes against humanity.
According to CNN,
Attorneys Bruce Fein, a former associate deputy attorney general under President Ronald Reagan, and W. Bruce DelValle drafted the petition on behalf of the National Interest Foundation, a Washington nonprofit frequently critical of U.S. policy in the Middle East, saying Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman "has ruthlessly and systematically persecuted his political detractors, opponents, or rivals," since being elevated to his position in June 2017. The petition was submitted in July but had not been made public.
Al Jazeera reported that the filing was made public Wednesday.
The document states, in part, that MBS, the de facto ruler, has engaged in "a widespread... systematic attack directed at civilian political opponents" in and out of the kingdom, through which he is "guilty of murder, torture, rape, extortion, illegal detentions, wrongful prosecutions, and the death penalty, i.e., crimes against humanity as defined in Article 7 of the Rome Statute."
"A component of the crown prince's systematic attacks or persecution of his opponents," the filing states, "was his order to assassinate courageous journalist Jamal Khashoggi, which was executed by the Saudi Raid Intervention Group by killing and dismembering... him in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey."
"Even if he said he did not order the assassination of Mr. Khashoggi, the law makes him culpable for it," Fein told Al Jazeera. "As someone who knows everything of significance in Saudi Arabia, MBS should have known about the planned murder even if he was not supervising his thugs."
"Nothing of significance happens in the kingdom absent the crown prince's direction or approval," the filing says.
U.S. intelligence services determined last year that MBS was likely behind the assassination of Khashoggi. And Agnes Callamard, the U.N. special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary, or arbitrary executions, concluded in June following a five-month probe that Khashoggie's "premeditated killing" was likely orchestrated by top Saudi officials.
"Every expert consulted finds it inconceivable that an operation of this scale could be implemented without the crown prince being aware, at a minimum, that some sort of mission of a criminal nature, directed at Mr. Khashoggi, was being launched," wrote Callamard.
MBS for his part, told CBS this week that he takes "full responsibility" for the killing--which he called "a mistake"--though he denied ordering the killing.
Callamard, in an interview with Reuters, said that MBS was "recognizing implicitly at least that the killing was a state killing" and that an assassination that implicated "a consulate requires preparation and planning and ultimately premeditation for 24 hours, is not a mistake."
As human rights advocates marked the one-year anniversary Wednesday of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a U.S.-based law firm revealed that it filed in July a petition at the International Criminal Court to investigate Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman over his role in the killing and other crimes against humanity.
According to CNN,
Attorneys Bruce Fein, a former associate deputy attorney general under President Ronald Reagan, and W. Bruce DelValle drafted the petition on behalf of the National Interest Foundation, a Washington nonprofit frequently critical of U.S. policy in the Middle East, saying Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman "has ruthlessly and systematically persecuted his political detractors, opponents, or rivals," since being elevated to his position in June 2017. The petition was submitted in July but had not been made public.
Al Jazeera reported that the filing was made public Wednesday.
The document states, in part, that MBS, the de facto ruler, has engaged in "a widespread... systematic attack directed at civilian political opponents" in and out of the kingdom, through which he is "guilty of murder, torture, rape, extortion, illegal detentions, wrongful prosecutions, and the death penalty, i.e., crimes against humanity as defined in Article 7 of the Rome Statute."
"A component of the crown prince's systematic attacks or persecution of his opponents," the filing states, "was his order to assassinate courageous journalist Jamal Khashoggi, which was executed by the Saudi Raid Intervention Group by killing and dismembering... him in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey."
"Even if he said he did not order the assassination of Mr. Khashoggi, the law makes him culpable for it," Fein told Al Jazeera. "As someone who knows everything of significance in Saudi Arabia, MBS should have known about the planned murder even if he was not supervising his thugs."
"Nothing of significance happens in the kingdom absent the crown prince's direction or approval," the filing says.
U.S. intelligence services determined last year that MBS was likely behind the assassination of Khashoggi. And Agnes Callamard, the U.N. special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary, or arbitrary executions, concluded in June following a five-month probe that Khashoggie's "premeditated killing" was likely orchestrated by top Saudi officials.
"Every expert consulted finds it inconceivable that an operation of this scale could be implemented without the crown prince being aware, at a minimum, that some sort of mission of a criminal nature, directed at Mr. Khashoggi, was being launched," wrote Callamard.
MBS for his part, told CBS this week that he takes "full responsibility" for the killing--which he called "a mistake"--though he denied ordering the killing.
Callamard, in an interview with Reuters, said that MBS was "recognizing implicitly at least that the killing was a state killing" and that an assassination that implicated "a consulate requires preparation and planning and ultimately premeditation for 24 hours, is not a mistake."